Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
You can have Sourdough Bao using 5 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sourdough Bao
- Prepare of Sourdough starter (quite runny, straight from fridge).
- Prepare of All purpose flour.
- Prepare of water.
- It’s of sunflower, sesame or coconut oil.
- Prepare of sugar.
Sourdough Bao step by step
- In the morning, dissolve the starter in the water and mix in all the other ingredients. Knead just enough to make a dryish dough. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rise at room temp.
- Throughout the morning, do a cycle of folds every hour or so. Don't let it get in the way of life though. Missing a few folds won't hurt..
- 4 hours before dinner, the dough should have doubled in size. Cut the dough into 4 pieces, flatten and shape into buns (do that thing where you stick baking parchment inside so that the two halves don't stick together). Place on baking parchment. I like to put them inside a steamer at this point so that they are ready to go at dinner time..
- Put steamer in the oven with the light on (in my oven this gives a temperature of about 40-50C). Leave until dinner time. Don't be afraid to prove the hell out of the buns. They should really be big and puffy by the end of this step..
- Buns should be nice and puffed up. Now add cold water to the steamer and put it over a medium heat. When the water starts boiling, start the timer. After 15 or 20 mins they are done!.