You can cook Apple-Pear Pie using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Apple-Pear Pie
- You need 1/2 of lemon for zest.
- It’s 5 of baking apples (granny smith, etc.), peeled, cored, sliced.
- You need 4 of baking pears (bosc, etc.), peeled, cored, sliced.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of fine salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg.
- You need 1 cup of golden raisins (soaked in brandy, optional).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of unsalted butter (1/2 stick).
- You need 1 tablespoon of fruit jam / preserve (clear, such as apricot, etc.).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- You need 1 of large egg, beaten (for egg wash).
- You need 2 of store-bought pie crusts (follow package instructions for use).
Apple-Pear Pie step by step
- For the filling: Finely grate the lemon zest and set aside. Peel, core and then slice both the apples and pears into 1/2-inch slices. Coarsely chop the slices. Squeeze the lemon juice over the fruit then toss fruit with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Mix in the raisins..
- Melt the butter in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves and juices simmer, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the fruit jam (optional), and cook uncovered, until the fruit softens and the juices evaporate some, about 10 minutes..
- Evenly mix the flour into the fruit; then cook about a 2 minutes more to thicken the juices slightly. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest; and remove from the heat. (The filling should resemble tight compote.) Cool completely..
- Form the pie: Transfer one prepared pie dough sheet from a lightly flour dusted surface area to 9-inch pie pan, so it hangs about 1/2-inch over the edge of the pan. Fill the crust with the prepared fruit so it mounds slightly in the center..
- Roll the other dough sheet onto the dusted rolling pin and unroll it over the fruit so it hangs over the edge of the pie pan by about 1/2-inch. Trim crusts evenly with a knife and press both top and bottom edges to seal. Flute the crust edge with a fork or fingers to make an even impression. Refrigerate the pie for at least 20 minutes..
- Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and heat to 400 degrees F..
- Brush pie with egg wash and sprinkle with white sugar on top if desired. Cut 6 to 8 small steam vents into the top of the pie dough. Place pie on a baking sheet (drippings) and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F..
- Bake for another 45-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown. If the edges begin to brown too quickly, cut a pie crust shield out of a piece of aluminum foil and cover the edges. When done baking, cool on a rack for 1-2 hours..
- Tip: Serve with ice-cream of course..