Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Fried Apple Pies.
You can cook Fried Apple Pies using 13 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fried Apple Pies
- You need 2 1/2 cup of self rising flour.
- It’s 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of shortening ( i use crisco ).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 5 oz of package dried apples.
- You need 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of light brown sugar.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 of oil for frying.
Fried Apple Pies instructions
- Stir together flour and sugar. Cut shortening into flour and sugar with fork or pastry blender until crumbly..
- Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape dough into disk and plastic wrap. Chill 12-24 hours..
- Bring apples and enough water to cover ( about 3 1/2 cups ) to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer stirring occasionally, for 1 hour..
- Remove from heat and cover. Let stand for 1 hour..
- Drain apples and place in large bowl. Coarsely mash apples with granulated sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt..
- Cover and chill 12 – 24 hours with the dough..
- Stir together cinnamon and sugar mixing well..
- Pour enough oil to cover about 2 inches in deep pan. I like cast iron..
- Heat over medium high heat to 350°F..
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. Divide into 18 portions. Shape each portion into balls..
- Roll into 5 inch circles. Working with one circle at a time, spoon 1 tablespoon filling into center of each circle..
- Brush entire edges around circle with water. Fold dough over filling into half circle shape and press to seal. You can use fork to put down edges to seal. I just like pressing them. Make sure it is sealed completely, or filling will cook out..
- Fry in batches, do not over crowd. Cook until browned and flip over and brown other side..
- Drain on paper towels on a baking sheet. Sprinkle hot pies fresh out of oil on both sides with cinnamon sugar..
- Can also sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled if you prefer..
- You can make bigger pies or smaller ones. Just add more filling to bigger ones and less for smaller ones..