Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
You can have Apple Pie using 18 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Apple Pie
- You need of Apple Filling :.
- Prepare 10 of large apples.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 4 tbs of sugar.
- It’s 6 tbs of brown sugar.
- Prepare 4 tbs of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- Prepare 1 pinch of ground clove.
- Prepare 1 pinch of ground nutmeg.
- Prepare of Pie Crust :.
- You need 320 gr (2.5 cup) of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 175 gr (12 tbs) of unsalted butter, cold.
- Prepare 55 gr (2 ounces) of shortening, cold.
- You need 4-8 tbs of ice water.
- You need of Topping :.
- It’s 2 tbs of butter.
- You need of Egg yolk for eggs wash.
Apple Pie step by step
- Dice the shortening and butter into 1/2" cubes and place on a plate in the freezer for about 15 minutes..
- Add flour and salt to a food processor. Pulse 2 to 3 times until combined..
- Add the chilled shortening and butter to the flour mixture. Pulse for a few times until the butter and shortening pieces are slightly smaller than peas. Don't over mix..
- Drizzle the ice water over the mixture one tablespoon at a time, pulse to combine. Stop addibg water when the dough start to clump together (but not seem overly wet), but there should be no dry patches of flour..
- Take the dough out and form into a large ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours..
- While waiting for the dough to chill, make the filling..
- Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/4" slices..
- Place the sliced apples in a bowl, and stir in both kind of sugar, flour, lemon juice, and all of the spices. Set aside for an hour..
- After the dough has chilled for 2 hours, lightly dust the counter with flour. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, 1 piece slightly larger than the other one. The larger one for the bottom crust and the smaller one for the top crust..
- Preheat the oven to 400°F..
- Roll out the larger piece of dough to about 12-13 in diameter to fit inside the 9" pie pan, leaving plenty draping over the edges for crimping and sealing. Transfer dough to the pie pan, starting at one end, roll dough around rolling pin then unroll over dish. Gently press dough down into dish so that it lines the bottom and sides of the dish. Set aside..
- Roll out the smaller piece of dough to about 9 to 10 in diameter, and using a pizza wheel, cut 10-11 strips of dough that are 1" wide..
- When you're ready to lattice the top of the pie, pour the apples into the pie pans. Pack the apples in very tightly. Be sure to include the accumulated juice in the bottom of the bowl..
- Dice the 2 tablespoon of butter and spread it evenly on top of the apples..
- Drape the strips of dough on top of the apples in one direction. To make a lattice, alternate flipping pieces back to weave in a strip of dough in the other direction (it's pretty hard to describe how to do this using words–search for a how-to video on YouTube 😊).
- Once the top of pies are latticed, trim the excess dough from the edges, and pinch the bottom and top pie crust together. Use fingers to crimp around the edges to seal in the apples completely..
- Beat the egg yolk with a little bit of condensed milk OR a splash of water and brush it over the surface of the pie crust..
- Place the pies on a baking sheet, and slide them into the oven..
- Bake them for 50 to 60 minutes, and be sure to check to see if the crust is browning too much at around 20-25 minutes. If so, cover it loosely with foil to shield it from the heat of the oven. The pie is done when the apples are fork-tender, and the filling is bubbling,.
- Let the pie cool completely and the filling set before attempting to slice and serve..