Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Chausson aux Pommes (Puff Pastry Apple Pie Turnovers).
You can have Chausson aux Pommes (Puff Pastry Apple Pie Turnovers) using 17 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chausson aux Pommes (Puff Pastry Apple Pie Turnovers)
- It’s of Puff Pastry Dough.
- Prepare 130 g (4.6 oz) of unsalted butter.
- It’s 75 g of (2.6 oz, or 3/5 us cup) bread flour.
- Prepare 75 g of (2.6 oz, or 3/5 us cup) cake flour.
- Prepare 2 g (1/3 tsp) of salt.
- Prepare 65 g of (2.3 oz, or 4.5 Tbsp) cold water.
- Prepare of Filling.
- It’s 350 g of / 12.3 oz thinly sliced peeled apples (about 1.5-2 apples).
- It’s 4 Tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1-3 tsp of brandy or rum (optional).
- You need of For Brushing.
- It’s 1 of egg yolk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of water.
- You need of Syrup.
- Prepare 1.5 Tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of water.
Chausson aux Pommes (Puff Pastry Apple Pie Turnovers) instructions
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/Uc2XCaf2FFU.
- 【For Puff Pastry Dough】 Dice unsalted butter into about 5mm (0.2-inch). You should prepare well-chilled butter. Put diced butter into a large bowl. Add bread flour, cake flour, and salt..
- Toss to coat the cubed butter with flour. Crush and rub the cubes while mixing. Use a scraper in the second half to prevent the butter from melting. Cut the butter until fine lumps are formed and yellowish. If the butter seems to melt, please chill it in a fridge..
- Pour 80％ of the water into the bowl like drawing circles. You should prepare well-chilled water. Mix roughly. Pour the remaining water against powdery places. Mix roughly until the large lumps form..
- Put onto plastic wrap. Press lightly to a single mass. Flatten it and shape it square, wrap it with plastic wrap. It has some unevenness at this stage. Let it sit in a fridge for 3 hours (If possible, overnight)..
- 【For Apple Filling】 Peel the apples, then core. Divide each apple into 8 equally. Slice each thinly. Put apples in a small pot. Add granulated sugar and lemon juice. Toss apples with the sugar and lemon. Let it sit as it is for 30 minutes..
- Cook it on low to medium heat for 15-20 mins until the soup is gone. Stir it gently sometimes to prevent scorching..
- Turn off the heat and add brandy, mix roughly. Transfer it to a container and let it cool. Set aside..
- 【Fold the puff pastry dough.】 Take the dough out of the fridge. Flour your work surface, dough, and rolling pin. Roll out into a long rectangle of 5-7mm (0.2-0.3'') thick. Fold the top third of the pastry down, then the bottom third up. (If the pastry gets soft too much, please chill.).
- Rotate the dough 90 degrees. Roll out and tri-fold the pastry again. Wrap it with plastic wrap and chill it for 30 mins..
- Repeat this whole process two more times (roll, tri-fold, 90℃ rotate, roll, tri-fold, chill). The dough will get smooth gradually. Dust off excess flour with a brush when folding..
- 【For Assembling】 Divide the dough into 6 parts. Roll each out into 5mm (0.2-inch) thick while coating it lightly with bread flour. Cut a circle out of each puff pastry using a 10 cm (4'') diameter cutter..
- The reason for dividing is to get 6 circles from the first-rolled-dough. The dough scraps tend to shrink, so please sit in a fridge for some hours and use it for another pie..
- Roll each out into an oval shape of 3 mm (0.1-inch) thick. Arrange a spoon full of apple filling on one side of each oval. Please be careful to not overfill the turnover or it will open during baking and the apples will pour out! (The apple filling will probably remain.).
- Brush the edges of each oval with a little water, leaving a little space. Fold one side over and press gently to seal the edges..
- Place them on a parchment paper-lined tray with the flat side down. Let it sit in a fridge for 30-60 mins to firm up..
- 【For Syrup】 Put granulated sugar and water in a container. Warm it with a microwave until it brings to a boil lightly at 500W for 20-30 sec. Mix it and melt the sugar completely. Let it cool; set aside..
- 【For Egg Wash】 Add water to an egg yolk, stir well. Strain it with a tea strainer to make it smooth (omittable)..
- Take out the chilled turnovers. Brush the flat side with egg wash, leaving a little space on the edge. If the egg wash drips on the side of the edge, it may not rise when baked. Let it sit in a fridge for 15-30 mins to dry the egg. Preheat an oven to 200℃ / 392F..
- Using a small, sharp knife, gently score lines on the pastry to create a leaf pattern. Prick 3-5 holes in 3-5 places with a knife tip. Bake it at 200℃ / 392 F for 12 mins, and 170℃ / 338 F for 17-22 mins..
- After baking until golden brown, brush each with syrup. Bake it at 200℃ / 392 F for 3-5 mins. Let it cool on a rack. Done!.