Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian).
You can have Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian) using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian)
- Prepare of A. Tangzhong.
- Prepare 20 g of flour or cake flour.
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- You need of B. The Topping.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coffee essence (or 1 1/2 tsp coffee + 1 tbsp hot water).
- You need 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 of egg – lightly beaten.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- It’s 50 g of unsalted butter.
- You need 50 g of icing sugar.
- You need 70 g of flour.
- You need of C. Filling (1).
- Prepare of Cubed salted butter.
- You need of D. Filling (2).
- You need 200 g of salted butter.
- You need 30 g of sugar.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- Prepare of E. The Bun.
- It’s 200 ml of milk – scalded & keep lightly warm.
- Prepare 1 of egg – lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 40 g of sugar.
- Prepare 380 g of flour / bread flour.
- It’s 1 1/4 tsp of INSTANT dried yeast.
- You need 40 g of unsalted butter – softened.
Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian) instructions
- A. Tangzhong – Mix flour and water in a small pot and whisk until there is no lump. Heat this mixture over low heat, keep stirring until it turns into a thick paste. Tangzhong is ready when the spoon used to stir leaves a visible trail all the way to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and leave to cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap to keep it from drying before adding to the bread dough. This tanzhong can be prepared the night before or an hour before baking..
- B. Topping – First, lightly beat egg. Keep aside. Then, add coffee essence (or use coffee that is dissolved in hot water). Add vanila extract. Stir to combine. Keep aside. Next, cream butter & sugar until pale & fluffy. Then add egg & coffee mixture & Stir until well mixed. Add ground cinnamon. Lastly, add flour & mix until you get a smooth paste. Transfer this mixture to a pastry bag fitted with round pastry tip. Refrigerate until ready to use..
- C. Filling (1) – cube salted butter & keep in the fridge for later..
- D. Filling (2) – Mix butter and sugar until well combined (but NOT CREAMY). Keep in the fridge. i use both fillings. I put cubed butter and half a teaspoon of this second filling..
- E. The Bun – using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix all dry ingredients. Then add milk & egg, mix on speed 1 for 3 minutes. Then switch to dough hook. Use the dough hook to knead on medium speed for about 10mins. Add Tangzhong. Mix again. Then add butter and continue kneading until dough is stretchy. Note: this recipe uses INSTANT dried yeast that requires no proofing..
- Note: it’s best not to over knead the dough. How do you know if your dough is ready? Do a windowpane test by pull off a golf – sized piece of dough. Flatten it lightly, hold it between both your thumbs & the first two fingers and gently spread the dough apart into a thin sheet; if the gluten is well-developed, the dough will stretch into a thin sheet without breaking..
- Next, cover dough with a damp cloth (or greased cling film) & leave to proof for at least 45 to an hour or until dough doubles in size depending on the temperature in the house..
- Divide & scale bun equally in size. Lightly Shape into round balls, rest for another 10mins. (Note: do not press dough hard when shaping into balls). Next, take one of the rolled balls, flatten and put in cubed butter and a tsp of sweet salty filling, then wrap it up neatly & shape/roll into round ball. Proof for at least 45mins to an hour or until buns are fluffy and double in size..
- Note on proofing: Proofing or the rising of the dough is very much depending on the temperature in the house. During winter, i proof my dough in my preheated warm oven (not hot). Or i pour boiling water into wide deep tray and place it at the bottom of the oven and my dough on the middle rack. It works..
- To assemble – Pipe topping (B) in spiral pattern onto buns right before baking. Note: Take topping out from refrigerator 5mins before using to avoid it getting too soft. Topping should be pipeable. Preheat oven. Bake at 160°C – 170°C (depending on your oven) for 15mins or until topping nicely brown (lightly brown). Serve warm..
- Note : Check out my other Roti Boy or Mexican Buns recipe that need no milk scalding but still resulting in soft buns..