100% Whole Grain German Rye Loaf Bread.
You can have 100% Whole Grain German Rye Loaf Bread using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of 100% Whole Grain German Rye Loaf Bread
- Prepare of Rye Sourdough:.
- You need 255 g of whole grain rye flour.
- Prepare 255 g of warm water.
- You need 25 g of rye sourdough starter.
- You need 2.5 g of salt.
- Prepare of Main Dough:.
- Prepare 370 g of whole grain rye flour.
- Prepare 11 g of salt.
- You need 20 g of molasses or honey.
- It’s 260 g of warm water.
- It’s of Optional mix-ins:.
- Prepare 100 g of toasted sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, dried fruits, etc. (or mix).
100% Whole Grain German Rye Loaf Bread instructions
- (Day 1) Mix all ingredients for rye sourdough. Cover well and let ferment for 20-24 hours at room temperature. It should become frothy and bubbly..
- (Day 2) In a large bowl, measure out the rye flour, salt and molasses/honey for the main dough. Place rye sourdough from day 1 on top and pour over warm water. Mix with your hands or a sturdy wet spatula for about 5 minutes. It's VERY sticky and more like a "paste" than a dough – you won't be able to knead..
- When well mixed, add any mix-ins and incorporate evenly into the dough by mixing an additional 2 minutes or so..
- My dough looked like this after everything is finished..
- Grease a bread loaf pan with butter or oil and dust with flour. Another option is to line with parchment paper..
- Put in the dough and gently press into the loaf pan. Even out the top with a scraper or your hands..
- Dust top with flour (I used fine ground rye flour)..
- Let rise at room temperature (24°C/75°F) for 2 hours (it's okay if the temperature is not exactly that). It should rise up to the top of the loaf pan..
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 250C/480F. Put a steam pan at the bottom rack of the oven when preheating for throwing in some boiling water for steam later. Prepare a kettle of boiling water as well..
- After the dough had risen, make a crisscross pattern on the top by gently pressing down with the edge of a pastry card or something similar. (about 5 mm or 1/4 inch or so deep)..
- Total baking time is 70 minutes…. Bake at 250C/480F for 10 minutes with steam. Then remove/release steam and turn temperature down to 200C/400F and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove the bread from its tin and put back in the oven for a final 30 minutes. Removing the bread from the pan lets the sides brown up into a nicer color..
- Let cool completely before slicing (its still cooking when you pull it out of the oven!), preferably waiting until the next day to let the flavors develop..