Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
German Dark Rye Bread.
You can have German Dark Rye Bread using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of German Dark Rye Bread
- You need of In a large mixing bowl, stir the following together, then let rest for about 5 minutes:.
- You need 2 cups of water, heated to 100-115⁰.
- You need 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 2 of pkgs active dry yeast.
- It’s of Add the following, and then beat well and let sit for 10 minutes:.
- It’s 1/4 cup of molasses.
- It’s 3 1/2 cups of rye flour.
- You need 3 Tbsp. of cocoa powder.
- It’s 2 Tbsp. of Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp. of caraway seeds.
- It’s of Add the following, and then mix in well:.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- It’s 2 tsp. of salt.
German Dark Rye Bread instructions
- Mix in 1 cup all-purpose or bread flour. Mix in enough of remaining 1 ½ to 2 ½ cups bread flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 8-10 minutes..
- Oil a large bowl and put in the kneaded dough. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour..
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Gently work the dough to eliminate air bubbles, shape into loaves, and place in oiled, parchment-lined bread pans. Place large bowl over the pans (not a damp towel, as the dough may rise and stick to it) and let rise 1 hour, until nearly doubled. Slash the tops of the loaves a couple of times with a very sharp knife. Pre-heat oven to 400⁰..
- While pre-heating, for a chewy crust, place an empty metal baking pan on the lower rack of oven. When oven is up to temperature, put bread in oven; at the same time, add ¼ cup water and a couple of ice cubes to the lower empty metal baking pan and immediately close the oven door..
- Bake in for 25-28 minutes. Immediately remove from pans and cool on a wire rack..