Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Greek Stuffed peppers (known as “politika gemista” in Greek).
You can cook Greek Stuffed peppers (known as “politika gemista” in Greek) using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Greek Stuffed peppers (known as “politika gemista” in Greek)
- Prepare 6 of big peppers (I prefer the green ones, but you can also use a mix of green, red, yellow, orange ones).
- You need 7-8 spoons of pudding rice.
- It’s 1 of shredded carrot.
- It’s 1 of shredded courgette.
- You need 6 of vine tomatoes chopped finely or blended.
- You need 50 gr of pine nuts.
- Prepare 60 gr of sultanas.
- You need 1 of big onion finely chopped.
- You need 2 of potatoes (I prefer Cyprus variety).
- It’s 10 leaves of mint finely chopped.
- It’s 80 gr of Parsley finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare of Cinnamon.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
- You need 2 cups of water.
Greek Stuffed peppers (known as “politika gemista” in Greek) instructions
- Cut the top part of the peppers in order to open them and clear them from their seeds..
- Add 3 spoons of olive oil in high heat and add the chopped onion. Let it cook for about 3 mins till it becomes glossy. Add the carrot, the courgette, the rice, half of the blended tomatoes, 1 cup water, salt, pepper, cinnamon. After 7-8 mins add the sultanas, pine nuts, parsley, mint and some more water if needed and let it ver heat for another 2-3 mins..
- Cut the potatoes as shown below and put them in a baking tray. Then, stuff the peppers with the rice mixture (fill the 3/4 of each pepper). If any stuffing left, mix it with the potatoes. Pour the remaining olive oil, 1.5 cup of water and the rest of the tomato blend in the tray. Season with salt and pepper..
- Cook it in the oven for about 70mins at 180degC. Keep an eye cause you may need to add water for the potatoes. Ideally, cover the tray with a piece of foil for the first 30-40 mins and then remove it so that the peppers and potatoes take a nice colour. Enjoy!.
- Tip: instead of peppers, you can use beef tomatoes, courgette, aubergines. You will need to dig the veggies with a spoon so as to make space for the stuffing. In the summer, when the tomatoes are seasonal, I choose beef tomatoes and green peppers. Also, in case you use these veggies, the part of the veggies that you remove can be grated and added in the stuffing..