Rice pudding with spices – meghli. Meghli is a fragrant brown rice pudding, sweetened with sugar; seasoned with anise, caraway, and cinnamon; and topped with almonds and pistachios. The legend goes that the brown meghli is a symbol of a fertile soil, with seeds on top of it that will sprout into life! It is a delicious rice pudding spiced with anise, cinnamon and caraway and garnished with shredded coconut and nuts.
This dessert is most popularly served to celebrate the birth of a new child in a family. This traditional Lebanese Rice Flour Pudding has the aroma of foreign spices and a texture and flavor completely unique to my American taste buds. My first taste of this pudding was as a special gift to me when I found out I was having a baby boy. You can cook Rice pudding with spices – meghli using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rice pudding with spices – meghli
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 9 cups of water.
- You need 1 tablespoon of caraway powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of aniseed powder.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of fennel powder.
- Prepare of For garnishing:.
- You need 1 cup of coconut powder.
- Prepare 1 cup of raw almonds or walnuts.
- You need 3/4 cup of raw pine nuts.
In Lebanese culture, when you find out you are having. The traditional Lebanese rice pudding called meghli is a vegan, gluten, and dairy-free dish that is traditionally consumed to celebrate the birth of a baby. It is also said that the brown color of the spiced pudding is symbolic for the richness of soil, while the rough texture of the nuts on top represents. I love Lebanese food ( Did I say that before?).
Rice pudding with spices – meghli instructions
- In a pot, put the rice powder with 2 cups of water. Stir them for 3 minutes..
- Add the remaining 7 cups water, the spices and the sugar to the pot and put it on high heat. Start stirring immediately as you put the pot on heat..
- Continue stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Turn off heat..
- Pour in small serving cups and wait until the meghli cools completely before placing the cups in the refrigerator..
- To serve, garnish with a layer of coconut powder, pine nuts and almonds or walnuts..
Living in Middle East gives you access to wide range of Middle Eastern food Grind rice until fine and powdery. I don't use rice flour because I like the texture better when its grinded without turning it to flour. If you were expecting a baby and you lived in the middle east. It is basically a rice pudding that is spiced with anise, caraway and cinnamon. Rice pudding is a dish made from rice mixed with water or milk and other ingredients such as cinnamon, vanilla and raisins.